Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Letter to Barack Obama

By Cap'n Adam (the indignant one) Hoden

I read an article in Slate Magazine by Liza Mundy about her problems researching Michelle Obama for her new book, Michelle: A Biography. It prompted me to write the following e-mail to the Obama Campaign.

Notice how I shoehorned my complaint into a question in the last paragraph to meet his web site's e-mail requirements?

I will post the reply, if I get one, in a future post.

To whom it may concern:

I was very disturbed when I read an article by Liza Mundy in Slate Magazine today (
http://www.slate.com/id/2202261) describing the resistance that the author encountered from the Obama campaign while researching Michelle Obama for an upcoming biography.

I understand the caution a Presidential candidate and his campaign must exhibit while dealing with the press. However, after reviewing Mrs. Mundy’s body of work, I must admit that I am confused as to the reason for the Obama Campaign’s resistance. Mrs. Mundy seems to be a skilled and objective journalist.

Sen. Obama is no doubt aware how critically important government transparency is to maintaining a free society, and that the press is the public’s watchdog in maintaining that transparency. The current President has made a habit of obstructing and deceiving the media, and is very disturbing, therefore, to learn of Sen. Obama’s campaign actively hindering a press investigation.

I would like to close this letter by saying that I support Sen. Obama. I hope that he brings the change he promises; change that our country desperately needs. But can we really expect that change when your campaign impedes the press just as President Bush does?

Sincerely,

Adam Hoden

Dictated but not read.

No comments: